When it comes to website building, we often forget the power of internal linking and SEO. Have you heard people talking about internal link building? But, What’s it have you think?
Internal linking is an important concept that you need to learn and apply in SEO and our link-building efforts. It helps in building connections between pages and prioritizes your important content.
One of the most powerful concepts in SEO is internal links, which come after your content. On completion of internal links, they need to be optimized for your internal linking structure, as a result driving more organic traffic.
A strategic approach to internal linking first needs to have the desired outcome, which helps increasing visibility for a set of categories for increasing organic search.
When you have a poor internal linking strategy, neglect your crucial pages and content that does not meet your business goals.
Impact of internal linking on SEO
When you post the right internal links it helps guide search engines and visitors to your most important pages. Search engines use the links to find content on the website and they rank the content on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs).
Search engines use bots to follow links. Bots start by crawling the homepage of a site to read the page and follow the first link it crawls.
Every link on your site holds some value to search engines, out of which the homepage has the greatest value since it has many backlinks.
More valuable links higher your chances to rank high on search engines.
Internal linking has three main features:
- Authority to pass from one page to another
- Prompts visitors to act as calls-to-action (CTA)
- They help visitors find high-value and relevant content
Basics of internal linking:
To implement an effective internal linking strategy, you need to understand the basics. A list of internal linking basics is mentioned below which you need to know before giving them.
- The hierarchy and structure are very important. When a new domain is built, a request needs to be sent to search engines to crawl and index it. When crawling, search engines access the homepage, read it, and look for further links to click through it. This repeats till the entire site is crawled.
- Your content must be unique
- The more backlinks, the more valuable the page is.
- A ratio of 10-15 links for every 1000 words. For a large website, a total of 200-250 links per page is decent.
- Use anchor texts
Example: <a href=”http:/home.com/page/”>anchor text</a>
- Dofollow and nofollow links
- Add relevant links. Just for the sake of adding it, don’t add links. Don’t fill your pages with useless links.
Why is internal linking important?
Improving organic performance and user experience are the two most important reasons for internal linking.
Organic performance is improved:
A well-organized link structure will have a positive impact on increasing the chance of high ranking. This is because It provides a clear site structure and adds extra content to target anchor text pages.
Improves user experience
Organizing your structure right will help you make sure your customers are finding the right content they look for.
“When someone reads a blog, they may be interested in reading another blog> By adding internal links between pages, it makes it easier to navigate on your site.
Apart from this, internal linking is important as it decreases bounce rate, increases page views, and also guides website visitors to reach pages.
Best practices for internal linking
- Link your website to the most important pages. Use Moz and Ahrefs to find which pages have the most link authority. Start your linking from those pages. Don’t give links from the homepage as it already has more links.
- Give keyword-rich anchor texts. You can apply links to images with proper alt texts. Don’t include the same words often, Include some related text without exact phrasing.
- Update your content regularly to support your link strategy.
- Use unique anchor texts for each page. When crawling search engines think both are the same pages, so use specific anchor text.
- Conduct audits for internal links every 6 months or a year. Conducting audits help you ensure that your page has a well-optimized linking structure.
- Refresh old pages with new links, adding new links boosts your SEO rankings.
Hope this article finds you important. Are you interested in learning more about how you can improve your website’s internal linking structure and SEO? AINRATech, one of the best digital marketing agencies in Hyderabad, helps you with a team of experts who are ready to help you. Implementing the internal linking strategy is important before measuring its results. Anything works fine until you’ve measured its results. Internal linking may be hard to implement on a huge website, but surely worth it.
There are many SEO services in Hyderabad, speak with them and get to know more about internal linking and SEO.